Sunday, November 28, 2010

Conquering the Popcorn

And no I don't mean the delicious kind.  It seems that over the last 60 years various tenants decided to "update" 1148 with popcorn ceilings.  Fortunately, most of the rooms have already been scraped or fixed by floating drywall over the mess. But since the family room and dining room have expansive ceilings nothings been done.

Wanting to do it right, Paul and I called in for a quote on having the ceilings scrapped.  To our amazement due to complications with 60 year old plaster, etc. etc. they wanted $5,000 to scrape the family and dining rooms. (insert hysterical laughter here)
Clearly, that was not the answer.

Behold the commercial paint sprayer.  I rented her at Home Depot and for the next 8 hours we were the best of friends.  At least, until I had to clean her.
I must admit I was intimidated.  I know my way around tools but spraying something that could break every window in the house over my head, just didn't sound like my cup of tea. But Paul had to work, so off I went.

Here are a few suggestions if you ever find yourself faced with a commercial paint sprayer.
  1. Don't listen to the clerk at the paint desk.  Go with your gut and get as much paint as you think you'll need.  They tried to tell me 1 can would cover the ceiling, I opted for two and midday way had to run to back--covered in paint--to get a third.
  2. Get a FLAT paint.  No body wants a shiny ceiling.
  3. Cover every inch of your body thoroughly or it will get painted.
  4. Cover every inch of you house or it will get painted.
  5. Cover furniture with at least two layers--no body wants a polka dotted couch.
  6. If you over spray onto the walls (say you haven't painted them yet) this is not a bonus of extra primer.  Roll them out quickly--or you'll end up with bumpy spots all over the new drywall your husband just spent days installing. (sanding helps but rolling immediately would have been so much easier)
  7. Light coats are the best.  Popcorn likes to drip, so keep a brush on hand to help discourage this.
  8. Remove all ceiling fixtures ahead of time.  Trust me, its hard to control where you're "not" getting paint. :)

Other than that, it's really not as hard as it sounds.  Don't forget mineral spirits (or water) to help thin the paint and go at a pace you're comfortable at.

Cheers,
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment